Marriage certificate

You must show the court that you are married. You can do this by giving the court your original marriage certificate when you start a divorce.

If you were married in Nova Scotia

Generally, if you were married in Nova Scotia, this means you must file your long-form marriage certificate. You must order the long-form certificate from Service Nova Scotia/Vital Statistics. The little white and blue form you may have received when you were married is not a long-form marriage certificate and is not legal proof of marriage. You will have to pay a fee to get your long-form certificate from Vital Statistics. You only need to provide one marriage certificate to the court.

Go here to find out about getting your long-form marriage certificate from Nova Scotia Vital Statistics.

If you were married outside of Nova Scotia

You must contact the place where you were married to get your certificate or proof of registration of the marriage if you don’t already have it. If you have your certificate but aren’t sure that it will be accepted by the court, ask a court staff member whether the court will accept your certificate.

If your certificate is not in English, you must provide a certified translation with the original certificate.

Remember: photocopied certificates are not acceptable. You must give the court an original certificate.



Was this page helpful?