Forms to Address Parenting

What forms do I file to address parenting arrangements?

(Decision-making Responsibility, Parenting Time, Contact Time, Interaction)


The following information is a guideline only for what documents you may need to file for your parenting application, and where you may need to file.  You should check with court staff for help, or get help from a lawyer before filing your application.

Forms are posted in interactive PDF  format and Word  format, where available.

If you are using the interactive PDF forms, be sure to download and save them to your computer to access all the features, including instructions to guide you through what information is required from you. 

If you are also looking to address child support, click here for those forms. If you are filing an application to address parenting arrangements and support for the same child or children, you generally only need to file one of each form. For example, you only need one Notice of Application and one Statement of Contact Information.

1. Notice of Application Form 59.07  Form 59.07  (if you are applying for a new order dealing with parenting arrangements)


Notice of Variation Application Form 59.12  Form 59.12  (if you are applying to vary (change) a previous final court order dealing with parenting arrangements).

2. Statement of Contact Information and Circumstances Form FD1  Form FD1  

3. Parenting Statement Form FD2A  Form FD2A  (if you are a parent or guardian, or are addressing decision-making responsibilities for a child or children).

4. Statement of Contact Time or Interaction Form FD2B  Form FD2B   (if you are not a parent or guardian, or are addressing contact time or interaction with a child or children).

5. Affidavit Form 39.08   Form 39.08  if you are applying to change a previous order OR you are filing your application on an interim, urgent or emergency basis.

For information on what your affidavit should look like, click here.

6. Personal Representation Form  Form  if you do not have a lawyer.


NOTE: if you are filing an original application on an interim, urgent or emergency basis, you may require additional documents, like a Notice of Motion for Interim Relief (Family Proceeding) FormFD13  Form FD13 . Please speak with court staff or a lawyer for more information.

Where do I file my application to address parenting arrangements?

When you make an application to address parenting arrangements, you will likely have to file your application at the court nearest to where the child is living. If the child is not living in Nova Scotia, you will probably need to contact the court nearest to where the child is for information about their forms and court processes.

Please see below for locations and contact information for the Supreme Court (Family Division) in Nova Scotia. Click here for more information about the Courts of Nova Scotia.

16 Church Street, 3rd floor
Amherst, NS, B4H 3A6
Phone: (902) 667-2256

Fax: (902) 667-1108

11 James Street
Antigonish, NS, B2G 1R6
Phone: (902) 863-3676

Fax: (902) 863-7479


Family Division Office
Phone: (902) 863-7312

Fax: (902) 863-7479

141 High Street
Bridgewater, NS, B4V 1W2
Phone: (902) 543-4679

Fax: (902) 543-0678

119 Queen Street
P.O. Box 1089
Digby, NS, B0V 1A0
Phone: (902) 245-4567

Fax: (902) 245-6722

3380 Devonshire Avenue
Halifax, NS, B3K 5R5
Phone: (902) 424-3990

Fax: (902) 424-0562

87 Cornwallis Street
Kentville, NS,  B4N 2E5
Phone: (902) 679-6070

Fax: (902) 679-6178

also serving New Glasgow
PO Box 1750, 69 Water Street
Pictou,  NS, B0K 1H0
Phone: (902) 485-7350

Fax: (902) 485-8934 

15 Kennedy Street, Suite 201
Port Hawkesbury, NS, B9A 2Y1
Phone: (902) 625-4218

Family Division: (902) 625-2665
Fax: (902) 625-4084

136 Charlotte Street
Sydney, NS, B1P 1C3
Phone: (902) 563-3550

Family Division: (902) 563-2200
Fax: (902) 563-2224

540 Prince Street
Truro, NS, B2N 1G1

Phone: (902) 893-4272
Fax: (902) 896-4333

Please note that divorce documents must be filed with the Supreme Court at 1 Church Street, Truro, NS, B2N 3Z5.

164 Main Street
Yarmouth, NS, B5A 1C2
Phone: (902) 742-0500

Fax: (902) 742-0678

Family Division Office
(902) 742-0550
Fax: (902) 742-0678

How do I use the interactive online forms?

These forms have information bubbles that will guide you through the forms and tell you what information is required from you. To view these bubbles, make sure you download and save the form to your computer or USB stick.  Once downloaded, hover your computer mouse over any coloured lines or check-boxes and the information applicable to that line or check-box should pop-up in a small square. These squares will not appear on your printed forms.

When you’ve completed your forms, print them off on plain, white, letter-sized (8.5” x 11”) paper. Do not double-side the pages. You must bring the printed copies of your forms into the appropriate court for filing – you cannot submit your forms online.

You will usually need to file several copies of each of your forms. Check with court staff as to how many copies they require you to file. If you photocopy your forms at the court, there may be a fee for this. Do not double-side your photocopies.

Was this page helpful?