NS ISO deals with child support or spousal support issues under provincial law when the parties live in different reciprocating jurisdictions. There are exceptions. See a lawyer for help.

In the NS ISO process, the applicant usually does not go to court – all of their evidence is presented in writing in the ISO forms. However, some jurisdictions - like Quebec and the United Kingdom - require a provisional process. In the provisional process, both parties go to court for a hearing in their respective jurisdictions

In some cases, ISO files may go through the ADR process.

Because the ISO process can be a long, it is important to do a good job filling out your forms.

Speak to a lawyer whenever possible, before filing or responding to an ISO application. Click here for information about legal support and advice options in Nova Scotia, including no and low-cost services.

For child support information, click here.

For spousal support information, click here.

Please tell us about your experience using this Guide and the NS Family Law website by completing our short survey.

Was this page helpful?