Intake is for anyone who:

  • wants to start a court application but does not wish or is unable to attend an intake session in-person

  • intake is a requirement before starting most court applications. It is important that you complete an intake session – in person, online, or both – so that you are aware of the way the process works, what you need to do, and the services available to you.

  • does not intend to file a court application but is interested in getting more information about family law

  • is considering starting a court application but needs more information about how to proceed

  • is interested in settling their family law disputes outside of court.

Intake usually deals with issues relating to children, like decision-making responsibility, parenting arrangements or child support, or spousal support. Intake usually does not deal with issues like divorce.

You may complete intake by registering for an in-person session, or by completing the online session (see below). To register for an in-person session, contact the court nearest you. Click here for court contact information.

NOTE: You may be required to complete an in-person intake session before your court application can be processed. If so, court staff will send you a letter with the date, time, and location of your session.

Links to modules:


  • for applicants – a person who is or may be starting the court process, or just needs general family law information.

  • for respondents – a person responding to a court application.


Online Intake - 'What you need to know before starting the family court process'

This module is the online version of the in-person intake sessions offered at family law courts.

This module contains information in writing and audio. Make sure you have your computer speakers turned up, or are using headphones, to hear the module narration.

You can find all of the written notes from the module in the ‘resources’ tab, located in the upper right corner of the module. You can find other resources in this tab as well.

The module takes about 1 hour to complete. You do not have to complete it all at one time. If you close the module and open it back up on the same computer, the module should have saved your place. Otherwise, you can use the index on the left side to find your place.

At the end of the module, you must fill in your contact information if you want the court to know that you have completed this module.

You can also fill out the confirmation if you think you may start the court process, but are not sure yet. The court will keep this record in case you start an application within the next 12 months.

For those starting the family court process, you must complete the confirmation form. The court will have no other way of knowing that you have done the module. If the court does not receive your confirmation, you may have to do the module again, or attend an in-person session. If you do not complete an intake session, your application may not move forward.

‘Starting the family court process’ means completing an intake session AND filing a court application with supporting documents. Both the in-person and online sessions will give you information about what you need to file based on what issues you are dealing with. If you are starting the court process, you will not be contacted by court staff to move your application forward until you have completed an intake session AND filed your application and supporting documents.

You will need access to a printer if you wish to complete your court forms on the computer. You can't file your documents online. Your documents must be filed in person at the appropriate courthouse.

Note: if you are starting an application for decision-making responsibility or parenting arrangements, you likely have to file your application at the court nearest to where the child is living. If you are applying to deal with support issues, where you file your application will be determined by where you, the other party, and perhaps the children, are living, and whether or not you are divorced from the other person. Speak with a lawyer for advice about where to file your application. For information on how to find a lawyer, click here.

Was this page helpful?