New Administrative Recalculation Program available in Nova Scotia

The Administrative Recalculation of Child Support Program recalculates the table amount of child support where a court order or registered agreement allows for this to happen. The recalculation happens once a year at the time of the anniversary of the court order. The Program recalculates certain child support orders based on updated income information provided by the parent paying support. The person paying support is called the ‘payor.’

Des nouvelles au sujet du Programme d'information pour les parents (PIP)

Le Programme d'information pour les parents, ou le PIP, est une séance d'information à l'intention de toute personne qui joue un rôle parental dans la vie d'un enfant. Le PIP est obligatoire au sein de la Division de la famille de la Cour suprême depuis plusieurs années, dans les cas où une demande traite de questions parentales telles que la garde ou les droits de visite. Depuis le 1er octobre 2014, le PIP est aussi obligatoire au sein du Tribunal de la famille à l'échelle de la Nouvelle-Écosse.

LISNS Infoline & Lawyer Referral Service - Extended Hours

The Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia - or 'LISNS' - have extended their hours of operation for the Legal Information Line and Lawyer Referral Service.

The new hours are Monday to Friday, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm (closed from 1-2 pm).

Call the Legal Information Line and Lawyer Referral Service at 902-455-3135 if you're in the Halifax Regional Municipality, or toll-free anywhere else in Nova Scotia at 1-800-665-9779.

Child Protection, The Court, and Your Family

'Child Protection, The Court, And Your Family' is a video intended to help you understand what happens when the Child Protection Agency becomes involved in your family life.The video is available in English and Mi'kmaq.

This video, and the booklet that comes with it, will answer some of your questions:

What has happened? Where are my children? When can I see them?

What can I do to make sure my family stays together? If my children have been taken into care, what do I need to do to have them returned?