As with any court application, it is strongly recommended that you get legal advice when making this application.

For information on ways to find a lawyer and get legal advice, including free or low-cost options, click here.

If you wish, you can print off this entire kit. Just click the 'Printer-friendly version' icon in the top right corner.


What this guide is for

This guide is for registering a separation agreement with the court. Once registered, the separation agreement will have the same force and effect as a court order. 

NOTE: Working out a separation agreement with your ex-partner can be helpful, but it is not something that the court requires you to do. If you do agree on a separation agreement, you are not required to register it with the court. If you’re unsure about whether or not to get a separation agreement, or whether you should register yours with the court, you should speak to a lawyer for advice. 


Where you can use this guide

This guide, and the forms linked to in this guide, are for use in the following courts ONLY:

  • Supreme Court Family Divisions in Halifax, Sydney, & Port Hawkesbury

  • Family Courts in Amherst, Antigonish, Bridgewater, Digby/Annapolis, Pictou/New Glasgow, Truro, Kentville, & Yarmouth

NOTE: you cannot apply to register a separation agreement in the Supreme Courts, EXCEPT those in Halifax, Sydney, & Port Hawkesbury


Last updated on December 18, 2018 - 1:28pm