A Guide to Registering a Separation Agreement

What This Guide is For

This guide is for registering a separation agreement with the court. Once registered, the separation agreement will have the same force and effect as a court order. 

NOTE: Working out a separation agreement with your ex-partner can be helpful, but it is not something that the court requires you to do. If you do agree on a separation agreement, you are not required to register it with the court. If you’re unsure about whether or not to get a separation agreement, or whether you should register yours with the court, you should speak to a lawyer for advice. 


Where You Can Use This Guide

This guide, and the forms linked to in this guide, are for use in all Supreme Court (Family Division) locations in Nova Scotia.


As with any court application, it is strongly recommended that you get legal advice when making this application.  For information on ways to find a lawyer and get legal advice, including free or low-cost options, click here.

Was this page helpful?