What is ‘personal service’?

Printer-friendly version

Personal service is required for certain types of court proceedings, like:

  • Petitions for Divorce
  • Applications for Divorce by Written Agreement, and
  • urgent or emergency court applications

​In some jurisdictions, almost all applications require personal service. When personal service is required, this means that someone has to hand-deliver a package of documents directly to the person being served. Personal service cannot be done by mailing documents to someone, or using a courier, fax, or registered mail. If the person being served has a lawyer, that lawyer may accept service for their client. You should check with the lawyer to make sure they will accept service of the documents.

FAQ page: 
Addresses & Service - giving the other person notice of the proceeding