You can start your application through a lawyer, either one that you hire privately (retain), or get assigned to you through Legal Aid, if you qualify. You can visit Legal Aid’s website for more information.

You can also start a court application without a lawyer.

As a general rule, if both you and the other party live in Nova Scotia, you can contact the court nearest to you to start the court process. Many courts, like the Family Court and Supreme Court (Family Division), will have an intake process, where you can get help from a court officer to start your application. You may also find help in our application guides:

If the other party lives outside of Nova Scotia, different rules may apply, depending on where they live, and whether you are divorced from that person.

Getting or Changing a Spousal Support Order - FAQs

Spousal Support Forms

Note: If you live in Nova Scotia, and the other person lives outside of Nova Scotia, you may have to use the ISO process. ISO stands for the Nova Scotia Interjurisdictional Support Orders (ISO) Act. This is the law that deals with getting and changing support orders involving Nova Scotians and parties who live in other jurisdictions, where provincial or territorial laws (not the federal Divorce Act) are being applied. If you are divorced from the other person (or are in the middle of a divorce proceeding), you probably will not use the ISO process.

ISO Spousal Support - FAQs

ISO Spousal Support Forms

Last updated on March 25, 2020 - 9:40am