The Family Law Information Program includes the Nova Scotia Family Law website at www.nsfamilylaw.ca, and the Family Law Information Program Centres (FLIP Centres). These centres, previously called the Family Law Information Centres, or 'FLICs,' are available at the Halifax Supreme Court (Family Division) and Sydney Supreme Court (Family Division).
The FLIP Centres are information centres open to the public, where on-site court staff members are available to answer general family law questions, and clients can access written materials on family law issues and court processes.
FLIP Centre staff cannot give legal advice – they cannot tell you:
- what application you should make
- what the outcome of your application will be, or
- give their opinion on your legal issue.
FLIP Centre staff can:
- tell you how to find a lawyer and get legal advice
- tell you about available court programs and services, and
- refer you to community agencies that may be helpful to you.
FLIP Centre staff can give you court documents for certain applications. Computers may also be available to clients in the FLIP Centres for completing certain court documents.
Information sessions on family law topics, like filing for divorce, are available at the Halifax FLIP Centre.
The FLIP Centres' goals are to:
- offer information about court processes, legal topics, and court services
- develop and offer family law information sessions
- make appropriate referrals to community agencies and programs
- offer computer access for filling out court documents
You can get information through the FLIP about:
- court processes and forms
- how to find a lawyer
- alternatives to court
- effects of separation and divorce on children
- community resources
FLIP Centre staff can:
- help you understand the court process
- provide you with certain court forms
- help you find free information about your particular legal issue
- explain how to get your own lawyer
- refer you to services and resources in your community
The FLIP Centre is located in Halifax at:
Supreme Court (Family Division), Lower Level
3380 Devonshire Avenue
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Halifax FLIP Centre hours are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. These hours may change from time to time.
The FLIP Centre is located in Sydney at:
Supreme Court (Family Division)
Harbour Place, Main Level
136 Charlotte Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
The Sydney FLIP Centre is usually open from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, with lunchtime closures (usually between 12:30 pm and 1 pm daily).
From time to time, the FLIP Centres may be closed on certain days or have a change of open times. Call ahead to be sure the FLIP Centre is open for your visit.