The information and forms listed in this section are for those filing for divorce in the Supreme Court General Division in Amherst, Antigonish, Bridgewater, Digby/Annapolis, Kentville, Pictou, Truro or Yarmouth ONLY.

If you use the wrong forms, your documents may not be accepted by the court in which you are filing your divorce, and may have to be completely re-done. For the divorce forms used in other courts, click here.
Please check with the court where you are filing your divorce to make sure you have the appropriate version of each form, or ask about that court’s Do-it-yourself Divorce Kit on CD.

You can also use the online version of the Divorce Kit

Forms are posted in interactive PDF format  and Word format , where available.

It is always a good idea to speak with a lawyer if you are dealing with a divorce. Click here for information about legal support and advice options in Nova Scotia, including no- and low-cost services.

For a checklist to ensure your divorce forms are in the right format and free of errors, click here.

There are 3 ways to start a divorce in Nova Scotia:

1. Petition for Divorce – this method is generally used if the divorce will likely be contested, you are unable or unwilling to contact your spouse to try to get an agreement, or your spouse will not agree to sign documents for the divorce. Petitions are filed in 2 'parts' as the other party has to be served with notice, and has an opportunity to contest the divorce

2. Joint Application for Divorce – spouses apply together for a divorce. Can only be filed if both spouses agree on all issues, including parenting, child support, spousal support, and property division. Can only be based on one year's separation, and documents can only be filed after the one year has run out.

3. Application for Divorce by Written Agreement – only one spouse would apply for the divorce, but both spouses must sign documents agreeing to the divorce. Can only be filed if both spouses agree on all issues, including parenting, child support, spousal support, and property division. When based on one year’s separation, documents can only be filed after the one year separation period has run out.

  • For Application for Divorce by Written Agreement documents: click here

If you are using Google Chrome or Firefox as your browser, you may have trouble opening the PDF forms. Use Internet Explorer instead, or click here for help.

Click here for more information about the Courts of Nova Scotia.


16 Church Street, 3rd floor
Amherst, NS, B4H 3A6
Phone: (902) 667-2256
Fax: (902) 667-1108

11 James Street
Antigonish, NS, B2G 1R6
Phone: (902) 863-3676
Fax: (902) 863-7479

141 High Street
Bridgewater, NS, B4V 1W2
Phone: (902) 543-4679
Fax: (902) 543-0678

119 Queen Street
P.O. Box 1089
Digby, NS, B0V 1A0
Phone: (902) 245-4567
Fax: (902) 245-6722

87 Cornwallis Street
Kentville, NS,  B4N 2E5
Phone: (902) 679-6070
Fax: (902) 679-6178

also serving New Glasgow
PO Box 1750, 69 Water Street
Pictou,  NS, B0K 1H0
Phone: (902) 485-7350
Fax: (902) 485-6737 (Supreme Court)

540 Prince Street
Truro, NS, B2N 1G1
Phone: (902) 893-4272
Fax: (902) 896-4333

1 Church Street
Truro, NS, B2N 3Z5
Phone: (902) 893-3953
Fax: (902) 893-6114

164 Main Street
Yarmouth, NS, B5A 1C2
Phone: (902) 742-0500
Fax: (902) 742-0678

How do I use the interactive online forms?

These forms have bubble-help text that will guide you through the forms, and tell you what information is required from you. To find the bubble-text, hover your computer mouse over any coloured lines or check-boxes (these may be blue or yellow, depending on your computer) and the information applicable to that line or check-box should pop-up in a small square. These squares will not appear on your printed forms.

Complete these forms on the computer, typing in your information, and save them to your own computer or a memory stick when you’re finished. Print them off on plain, white, letter-sized (8.5” x 11”) paper. Do not double-side the pages. You must bring the printed copies of your forms into the appropriate court for filing – you cannot submit your forms online.

You will usually need to file several copies of each of your forms. Check with court staff as to how many copies they require you to file. If you photocopy your forms at the court, there may be a fee for this. Do not double-side your photocopies.

***If you have trouble opening a form in your browser, try one of these steps:

  • After opening the form, you may see ‘Open With Different Viewer’ in the top right-hand corner of the page. Click there, and select a program like Adobe Reader, OR...
  • Before opening the form, right-click with your mouse on the form link. Go to ‘Save Link As…’ and save the form to your computer. Open the form from wherever you now have it saved.
Last updated on March 8, 2021 - 10:10am