Printer-friendly version
  • ISO deals with child support or spousal support issues when the parties live in different reciprocating jurisdictions
  • The ISO process is used when a Federal law – like the Divorce Act – is not being applied
  • In the ISO process, the applicant usually does not go to court – all of their evidence is presented in writing in the ISO forms
    • However, some jurisdictions - like Quebec and the United Kingdom - require a provisional process
    • In the ISO provisional process, both parties go to court for a hearing in their respective jurisdictions
  • In some cases, ISO files may go through the ADR process
  • Because ISO can be a long process, it is important to do a good job filling out the forms
  • Speak to a lawyer whenever possible, before filing or responding to an ISO application! For ways to get legal advice - including free and low-cost options, click here.


For child support information, click here

For spousal support information, click here

Please tell us about your experience using this kit and the NS Family Law website by completing our short survey.