There are a number of things you can try to find an address for the other person. They can include:

  • checking with the other person’s friends, relatives, former roommates, co-workers, other ex-partners, or current partner for information on where the other person lives or works
  • doing internet searches through search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, or Canada 411 (Canada 411 has reverse phone number, reverse address, and people finder options)
  • doing social media searches through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or Google Plus, or have someone you know do it for you (someone who might not be blocked by the other person)
  • hiring a skip-tracer or private detective - they can be found in the Yellow Pages or online
  • checking for other records for the person, like at another court, if you know that they have a case going on against someone else
    • note: some courts have rules that will not allow you to access this information without going through a special application process
  • hiring a process server or speaking with a lawyer for advice on how to locate someone
  • process servers may be found by using the Yellow Pages or the Internet
  • checking with the Nova Scotia Registry of Joint Stock Companies online for business names and addresses, company officers, business activity history other related registrations, if you think the other party is involved in a business.

You are expected to take all reasonable steps to find an address for the other person, as long as it's safe for you to do this and there is nothing keeping you from using the method listed above, like a no-contact order, undertaking/recognizance, or any other order that prohibits you from contacting the other person.

Last updated on August 27, 2019 - 8:01am