You have to file your original marriage certificate with the court when you file for divorce, because you have to show that you were married in the first place. Generally, if you were married in Nova Scotia, this means you must file your long-form marriage certificate. You must order the long-form certificate from Service Nova Scotia/Vital Statistics. The little white and blue form you may have received when you were married is not a long-form marriage certificate, and is not legal proof of marriage. You will have to pay a fee to get your long-form certificate from Vital Statistics. You only need to provide one marriage certificate to the court.

To find out more, click here.

If you were married outside of Nova Scotia, you must contact the place where you were married to get your certificate or proof of registration of the marriage, if you don’t already have it. If you have your certificate, but aren’t sure that it will be accepted by the court, ask a court staff member whether or not the court will accept your certificate.

If your certificate is not in English, you must provide a certified translation with the original certificate.

Remember: photocopied certificates are not acceptable. You must give the court an original certificate.

Last updated on February 23, 2017 - 9:30am