It is strongly recommended that you get a lawyer if you can, especially if your divorce will be complicated. Some things that may make your divorce more complicated include:
- your spouse lives in another country
- you don’t know where your spouse is
- you and your spouse have pensions, property, debts, or business assets to deal with
- you are applying for divorce on the grounds of cruelty or adultery
- your situation involves high levels of conflict or domestic violence
- you and your spouse do not agree on outstanding issues
If you have a lawyer, your lawyer will usually look after any paperwork needed for your divorce.
Even if you can’t hire a lawyer for the whole divorce process, try to have a lawyer review your divorce paperwork before you file it with the court.
If you can’t afford a lawyer, you may be able to get legal help through one of the services listed here.