When you work in Canada, the government keeps track of how much you pay into the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). When you retire or become disabled, you can apply to the government to start receiving your Canada Pension. The amount you get is based on how many credits you built up while you were working.

Following your separation or divorce you can apply to split the Canada Pension Plan credits that you and your spouse built up while you were together. Basically, CPP will look at how many credits you earned during that time, how many your spouse earned during that time, add them up, and divide them evenly.

You will notice a paragraph on the Divorce Order that discusses CPP credits:

Canada Pension Plan

5    This divorce order, and a corollary relief order issued with it, does not affect in any way a statutory entitlement to seek a division of credits or benefits under the Canada Pension Act.

This paragraph is standard and cannot be changed. Neither you nor your spouse can waive your right to apply to split your CPP credits. Whether or not you actually apply to split the credits following your divorce, however, is up to you.

For more information on CPP credit splitting, click here.

You can also contact Service Canada at 1-800-277-9914 (1-800-255-4786 for TDD/TTY devices), or check out their CPP credit splitting kit.


Last updated on May 13, 2020 - 3:06pm