A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W
Family Court

A court that deals with custody, parenting time, contact time and interaction, child support and spousal support for parties who are not divorced. Family Courts do not deal with property issues or grant divorces. Family Courts also hear child protection and adult protection cases. Family Courts operate outside of the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) and Cape Breton. In HRM or Cape Breton, the Supreme Court (Family Division) deals with these issues, and also with property and divorce issues.

Family Court Rules

The rules used by the Family Court that determine court process and forms.

Family Law Information Program (FLIP) Centre

A service available at the Halifax and Sydney Supreme Court (Family Division).  The FLIP Centre is an information centre open to the public, where on-site court staff members are available to answer general family law questions, and clients can access written materials on family law issues and court processes.  

FLIP staff cannot give legal advice – they cannot tell you what application you should make, what the outcome of your application will be, or give their opinion on your legal issue. FLIP staff can, however, tell you how to find a lawyer and get legal advice, explain available court programs and services, and refer you to community agencies that may be helpful to you. FLIP staff can give you court documents for certain applications.


See ‘Court file’

File number

The number assigned to a new court file when someone files a new application.

Filing fees

Money paid to the court to start a legal proceeding or file an application. People with low incomes may qualify to have certain fees waived. The law in Nova Scotia that says how much court fees are is the Costs and Fees Act.

Financial disclosure

Financial information that may be required by the court from one or both parties. When you are required to provide financial information to the court, this usually means you have to file a sworn/affirmed Statement of Income or Financial Statement, your last three years of income tax returns and notices of assessment or reassessment from the Canada Revenue Agency, and two recent pay-stubs, or other official documents showing your current year-to-date income. You should speak to court staff to learn exactly what you will be required to file in your circumstances.