1. What is a peace bond?

A peace bond is a court order that you may apply for when someone has threatened or harmed you. This can be a partner or spouse, or another person. The person who is accused of threatening or harming you may be told by a court that they must be on a peace bond, or can agree to go on one when an application is made to the court. The peace bond may also include conditions such as to stop contacting you and stay away from your home or place of work.

Click here for more information about peace bonds.

Return to Top

2. Where do I apply for a peace bond?

In most cases, you will need to go to Provincial Court to apply for a peace bond. The Family Court and Supreme Court (Family Division) usually does not deal with peace bonds.

For a copy of a peace bond application, contact your nearest Provincial Court.

Return to Top

3. How quickly can I get a Peace Bond?

Unlike with an Emergency Protection Order, a peace bond application requires that the person you are seeking to be protected from receive notice of the proceeding, and have a chance to respond. If you cannot wait for a hearing, call your local police, victim services office, or Justice of the Peace center to see if you qualify to apply for an Emergency Protection Order.

Return to Top