Family Law Information Centre (FLIC)
Family Law Information Centres (FLICs) are available at the Halifax and Sydney Supreme Court (Family Divisions). FLIC is an information centre open to the public, where on-site court staff members are available to answer general family law questions, and clients can access written materials on family law issues and court processes.
FLIC staff cannot give legal advice – they cannot tell you what application you should make, what the outcome of your application will be, or give their opinion on your legal issue. FLIC staff can, however, tell you how to find a lawyer and get legal advice, explain available court programs and services, and refer you to community agencies that may be helpful to you. FLIC staff can give you court documents for certain applications.
Information sessions on family law topics, like filing for divorce, are available at both FLICs (check with your local FLIC for their information session schedule). Computers are also available to clients in FLIC for completing certain court documents.
FLIC's goals are to:
- offer information about court processes, legal topics, and court services
- develop and offer family law information sessions
- make appropriate referrals to community agencies and programs
- offer computer access for filling out court documents
You can get information at FLIC about:
- court processes and forms
- how to find a lawyer
- alternatives to court
- effects of separation and divorce on children
- community resources
FLIC staff can:
- help you understand the court process
- provide you with certain court forms
- help you find free information about your particular legal issue
- explain how to get your own lawyer
- refer you to services and resources in your community
FLIC is located in Halifax at:
Supreme Court (Family Division), Lower Level
3380 Devonshire Avenue
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Please note that as of Monday November 26th, 2012, Halifax FLIC's hours are changing. Staff will be available between 8:30am and 1pm from Monday to Friday. These hours may change from time to time. For up-to-date information, please call the Halifax FLIC infoline at (902) 424-8826.
FLIC is located in Sydney at:
Supreme Court (Family Division)
Harbour Place, Main Level
136 Charlotte Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Sydney FLIC is usually open from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, and is usually closed between 12 - 12:30 pm daily. From time to time, FLIC may be closed on certain days or have a change of open times. Call ahead to be sure FLIC is open for your visit.